The black primer on new panels

Post your technical queries / problems here!
zipgun

The black primer on new panels

#1 Post by zipgun » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:43 pm

I sprayed a new bonnet 2 years ago (cellulose primer and cellulose colour ) I thought i scuffed up the black primer enough before hand, and thought ,cellulose (being pretty aggressive stuff ) would adhere ok .Anyway , obviously a stone chip has whacked it and the paint cracked and a chunk fell off , and i picked at it, and my paint isn't bonded at all . So much so , I stuck gaffa tape all over the bonnet and peeled all the yellow and primer off in one hit ,so my panel is back to black ! It looks like i didn't scuff it up enough to start with . I used a Scotchbrite Red . Should i remove the black primer altogether, and etch prime first or will etch stick to the black stuff ? . Is etch primer expensive ? It's only an old Fiesta...but don't want to keep painting it every 2 years !

jimmyybob

Re: The black primer on new panels

#2 Post by jimmyybob » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:23 pm

Its not primer its a transit paint and it should all come off before a respray.

jpsh120

#3 Post by jpsh120 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:26 pm

Etch only on bare metal, which you need to start from. I think you were fortunate you didn't have any problems prior to the stone chip.
1971 Sunbeam Rapier H120

Luxobarge

#4 Post by Luxobarge » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:45 pm

Seconded - as above. It really needs to come off I'm afraid, then etch prime, then filler (or high-build) prime, then top coat.

Sorry!

Cheers :D
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

zipgun

#5 Post by zipgun » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:49 pm

Thanks for advice.. i was half expecting the answer :( The black is a bugger to shift , neat thinners wont touch it or Nitromors, guess i'll have to sand it all off :( :( Ah ,the delights of black bogies all evening :lol:

tractorman

#6 Post by tractorman » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:54 am

Use a decent mask - not one of those paper efforts (like they used in Classic Car Rescue!). Your nose only catches the bigger bits and it's the really fine stuff that gets deep into your lungs and causes harm!

You should have a decent mask if you are spraying (I use one with enamel paints, let alone something nasty). I used to use the paper ones until I realised that they let a lot of "air" in through the edges: I often had a red/white/brown/grey goatee after spraying!

52classic

#7 Post by 52classic » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:19 am

Now I always thought..... If it softens with Celly thinners then it has to come off otherwise de-grease it, flat it and prime. Never had any problem with that rule but I don't do so much panel work these days.

zipgun

#8 Post by zipgun » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:59 pm

tractorman wrote:Use a decent mask - not one of those paper efforts (like they used in Classic Car Rescue!). Your nose only catches the bigger bits and it's the really fine stuff that gets deep into your lungs and causes harm!

You should have a decent mask if you are spraying (I use one with enamel paints, let alone something nasty). I used to use the paper ones until I realised that they let a lot of "air" in through the edges: I often had a red/white/brown/grey goatee after spraying!
Wish i'd listened . I sanded the stuff off today, now suffering sinusitis...don't know whether its the paint dust or plywood dust from my sawbench on Saturday .Hardwood dust always gets me..i'd forgotten :roll:

tractorman

#9 Post by tractorman » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:44 am

Dash it - there isn't a "Smug" smiley!

However, while I am looking for work, I've been stripping woodchip wall paper in the dining room and have found plenty of holes to fill. I have a dust-extractor vacuum and have been using that (it's quite effective). However, one area was so large that I needed the belt sander - the dust extractor doesn't fit it and I forgot to close the door. Apart from coughing a lot (I forgot the dust mask :oops: ), I now have to vacuum and dust the whole house :cry:

mach1rob

#10 Post by mach1rob » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:39 am

Sod stripping woodchip, some ****er had done the hallway with it in the past, and it wouldn't come off for love nor money, down B&Q, few rolls of extra think paper designed to cover woodchip, problem solved, and with no dust or drama.