Battery post wear & tear

Post your technical queries / problems here!
Minxy

Re: Battery post wear & tear

#11 Post by Minxy » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:03 pm

I always disconnect the battery on mine when not in use simply because its still on the original loom and I feel safer leaving it disconnected rather than risk a fire.

So I too end up with terminal on and off each time I use the car. I do not secure the terminal though I just rely on a push fit and in the seven years I have owned the car it has never been an issue or for the previous owner who I know did the same.
Never play chess with a pigeon. It will knock all the pieces over, S*#t on the board and then strut around pretending it won.

TerryG

#12 Post by TerryG » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:55 pm

Another thought; assuming you have a shortish negative lead, why not have 2. One for shows and one for "normal" so you can have a modern clamp that you don't need to worry about.
edit: yet another thought, When I bought my range rover it had one of these on it: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Batte ... 0772927539
That big screw cuts off the connection when you undo it a couple of turns.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

tractorman

#13 Post by tractorman » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:10 pm

I disconnect the tractors' earth leads when I don't expect to use them for a while. The batteries hold their charge much better, though I don't really know why it should make a difference - capacitance in the system when it's connected perhaps? I would get a cut out switch/connector like Luxobarge suggests but it isn't a lot of hassle for me - the terminals are the clamp type and easy to reach.

I lost grip with the terminal on my old Wolseley when I was a lot younger - a panel pin or two were put in the hole and that gave the screw enough grip! It may not be perfect or elegant but it lasted as long as the battery did.

OneCarefulOwner

#14 Post by OneCarefulOwner » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:42 am

I can't use the standard style of battery disconnect as I can't securely attach the old-style cap to the bar, which is why I posted here for alternatives. :) I already use one in my later Allegro that uses modern clamps, to great effect.

The main reasons I have to disconnect are the radio & clock. While the load they place on the battery is slight, I can go for weeks without using the car (I've never been one to run it for a few minutes without going anywhere) and this is plenty to kill off the charge; I accidentally left it connected for 10 weeks once & could barely get the interior light to come on. While I was able to recover the battery that time, it's left its mark and the most recent time I needed to use the car I couldn't even get it going with a jump! Swapping in a known-good battery had it starting straight up, so I know it's not any other part of the system.

The trickle charger would be my first choice, but it's stored in a powerless lock-up so it's a non-option. And as this is my "show car", I don't want to change anything from how it was when I got it; it's not 100% original, but it's a lovely example of period enhancements.

I've received advice from the club forum about disconnecting the earth lead at the other end instead, so I'll be trying that for a while.
…that's why Allegro will look as good 5 years from now as it does today.
If I was allowed a sigpic, this would be it
Twitter | Blog | DropBox

Luxobarge

#15 Post by Luxobarge » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:33 am

Does the lock-up have a window of any kind? If so, I'd be looking at a solar-powered trickle charger/conditioner, available fairly cheap these days.

But then again, I expect you've already thought of that, too! ;)

Cheers :D
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

OneCarefulOwner

#16 Post by OneCarefulOwner » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:47 pm

No, no window - and unless I was able to visit it daily, I don't think I'd want one with a window anyway ;)
Twitter | Blog | DropBox

mach1rob

#17 Post by mach1rob » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:31 pm

Up and over door? Solar panel stuck to door, cables over the door, long enough to connect to battery and still have slack to shut the door without risk of pulling cables off battery or shorting out?

OneCarefulOwner

#18 Post by OneCarefulOwner » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:06 pm

Similar ideas have been considered, I'll have to see how long such cables can reliably be & see if that's compatible with the location. Luckily the site is south-facing - finally a break! :idea:
Twitter | Blog | DropBox