I've been Toyota shopping.

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
tractorman

Re: I've been Toyota shopping.

#11 Post by tractorman » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:22 pm

I am of the opinion that any car over 25 is a classic (but that's because any tractor over 25 is defined a classic in the tractor circles). Even so, there are one or two of us that sneak a modern onto the site and, so long as it isn't a regular event, I think it adds to the variety (especially when we are complaining about our moderns!)

I was just saying to "my mate Phil" yesterday that I tend to forget that things like his 2005 Corsa are old cars now (and still think of the 2008 Golf as almost new!). I think a lot of it is because his Corsa hasn't any rust on it and could easily be mistaken for a three or four year old car (even if such a Corsa looks different). The Starion owner down the road bought a 2002 Corsa last year and his daughter now drives it. It looks no older than the 2005 one - and a 14+ year old car was rare around these parts some years ago (our '62 Minor was sold as scrap in '69).

I'm not a Jap car fan, but that Toyota does look like the bits my little bitch lacks ;)

History

#12 Post by History » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:23 pm

Nice looking car.
A colleague had one that did over 160k before he part ex ed it.

I like the rear end styling. The front is a bit bland. But these are quiet good cars and last well.

Bob

rich.

#13 Post by rich. » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:27 pm

i hope we get regular updates.. every time you fill up with fuel for example with plenty of pics :D

JPB

#14 Post by JPB » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:39 pm

rich. wrote:i hope we get regular updates.. every time you fill up with fuel for example with plenty of pics :D
:lol:

I can do better than that! Today, for example, I bought some strawberries over at the farm shop and put them in the massive boot to carry them home. The strawberries were in fine condition when I put them in the fridge, some ten minutes later.
This demonstrates that there can be no better car for anyone whose hobbies include eating strawberries.
:drool:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#15 Post by rich. » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:50 pm

any pics of the strawberries? or have you eaten them all :lol:

JPB

#16 Post by JPB » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:53 pm

All gone! :oops:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#17 Post by rich. » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:34 am

i managed to kill all our strawberry plants..

JPB

#18 Post by JPB » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:02 am

:lol:

Today, I (ably assisted by sis-in-law beast) shall be removing the sunroof frame, soldering some shiny new clips to the ends of the cable and then putting the whole lot back together before the rain gets any heavier. That will make the sunroof work once again. Once it's all working, I'll put a thin bead of caulk around the aperture, close the roof then disconnect the motor so it won't cause any further worry. In fairness to the sunroof, it doesn't leak as it stands, so could, alternatively, be left alone.
I've already been out and cleaned & degaussed the cassette deck's head, treated the pinch rollers (two of the wee sods, it's auto reverse) with glycerine and set up the azimuth with the help of my 'scope. That all works and, because it's a proper radio rather than a DAB device, I've been putting a selection of local and Norwegian FM stations into its presets.
J

rich.

#19 Post by rich. » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:53 pm

any pics? :D

JPB

#20 Post by JPB » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:19 pm

No, it's pretty difficult to take photos and extract the roof frame from its hole with any fewer than three hands, but the job's done, the moulded on plastic tabs replaced by steel p clips and the roof now works perfectly. It doesn't leak but it's been raining too hard today so I haven't had the chance to seal it with silicon yet. I could leave it fully functional I suppose, but that would encourage passengers to push buttons which never ends well, in my experience! :oops:

I did get some paint made today. The bumpers, as seen in the photos at the top of the thread, are a bit flat looking so I'll be masking the surrounding bits, giving the top and bottom (painted) parts of the blades a scoosh with the correct Steel Grey (in cellulose, I bought the paint on the Scottish side and their laws regarding the supply of hazchems are slacker than English laws on this), then a couple of clear coats to finish, remove the masking paper and that's my morning at work taken care of. :mrgreen:
I also have the Golf to deliver to its new victim custodian tomorrow, best go out to reset the ECU & put the DPF back whence it came... :oops:
J