Alloy cleaner

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
kevin

Alloy cleaner

#1 Post by kevin » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:38 pm

im looking for a spray on cleaner to remove the usual grime off a set of bike engine casings after a layup. Engine will remain in place whilst I clean it..
Any ideas?

Kev

TerryG

Re: Alloy cleaner

#2 Post by TerryG » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:11 pm

Foamy gunk did an amazing job cleaning the crud from my aluminium intake manifold. I did attack it with an old washing up brush before hosing the crud off.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

kevin

#3 Post by kevin » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:32 pm

TerryG wrote:Foamy gunk did an amazing job cleaning the crud from my aluminium intake manifold. I did attack it with an old washing up brush before hosing the crud off.
Ah, I have some of that, was thinking of trying alloy wheel cleaner ?

Kev

MG Mal

#4 Post by MG Mal » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:13 pm

Depending on what I'm cleaning it's either "Foamy Gunk" of Auto Glym Machine cleaner.

Phil P

#5 Post by Phil P » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:38 am

We use an acid based cleaner. It removes the aluminium surface oxide but does require gloves, goggles and a protective apron. There is still a fair amount of scrubbing required. If it shifts the dull finish and leaves it shiny bright in one go it will have the opposite effect on the user! :shock: Foamy Gunk is a good safe alternative.