Future Classics

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
Mattcortes

Re: Future Classics

#21 Post by Mattcortes » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:16 pm

Also need to vote for Modern Family on sky 1
Matt
1962 Triumph Herald 1200 Coupe
1970 Triumph Herald 1360 Convertible
1978 Reliant Scimitar SS1
1986 Mini City
1990 Mini Equinox
1969 Hillman Imp
1969 Morris Minor 1000
Scarab Formula Vee race car
5x racing karts, Rotax, pro, 100cc and gearbox.

JPB

#22 Post by JPB » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:48 pm

Mitsuru wrote:"rent a ghost" anybody?
Yes yes yes YES! That, and Hector's House. :D
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

tractorman

#23 Post by tractorman » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:18 pm

And the original Paddington Bear (not the cartoon one!)

I enjoy the "moderns won't become classics" comments (it happens on the tractor sites too). I remember one of my bosses saying that about his "modern" tractors when he sold off an early Fordson for restoration in the early 70s. He had a Massey 35X and a Ford 4000: two "iconic" tractors these days!

mr rusty
Location: Harlow, the birthplace of fibreoptic communication, as the town sign says.

#24 Post by mr rusty » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:59 pm

When I think of the cars I've sent to the scrappers over the years after paying peanuts for them and then pulling out an engine or a diff or a few bits of interior trim I feel like reaching for my revolver.......nobody can predict what's going to be a future classic....

Back on topic, original Robocop or CGI remake? Original Assault on Precinct 13 with awesome 70's synth soundtrack or remake? And don't even get me started on Pelham 123.....and I do believe there's a remake of Escape from New York in the pipeline, is nothing sacred?

And has anyone else noticed how dreadful Thomas the tank engine has become since he's been cgi'd? Outrageous!! Breakfast time just isn't the same anymore!
1968 Triumph Vitesse Mk1 2 litre convertible, Junior Miss rusty has a 1989 998cc Mk2 Metro, Mrs Rusty has a modern common rail diesel thing.

Fatbloke

#25 Post by Fatbloke » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:01 pm

Surely everything on the road today will be a classic eventually.

No one argues that ford Anglias, Cortinas or Triumph Heralds are classics but they were just the run of the mill equivilants to today's Daewoos, Mondeos, Audi A3s etc of their day.

Just give it time chaps, you'll see. Especially if we are to believe that the cost or repairing modern electronics will kill so many moderns off. The ones that remain will be even rarer than Anglia's and heralds and therefore even more "classic"

Anyway, what about "Big school"? I especially like the Gene Hunt playing the PE / Gergraphy teacher!
Mike.

A Fatbloke in a Herald

rich.

#26 Post by rich. » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:41 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: mike you are risking your life saying things like that!! one day soon a jihadi from the morris minor liberation front will be banging on your door.... :lol:
even if you are right

meanwhile ive developed a taste for werther's originals....

Fatbloke

#27 Post by Fatbloke » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:52 pm

I like to live dangerously Rich! :)

TBH I get a bit fed up with the constant argument about what is and isn't, will and won't be classic debates.

Live and let live...All cars are fun to someone.

Mike.

A Fatbloke in a Herald

rich.

#28 Post by rich. » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:07 pm

well said mate!

SirTainleyBarking

#29 Post by SirTainleyBarking » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:07 pm

The answer to this fundemental question is simple.
Buy a 5-10 year old Modern, allow to mature for 20 odd years, come back to us then! :lol:
Landrovers and Welding go together like Bread and Butter. And in the wet they are about as structurally sound

Biting. It's like kissing except there's a winner

tractorman

#30 Post by tractorman » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:31 am

Thinking of 5-10 year-old moderns, I noticed Kev's (the garage owner) partner's 2005 Mondeo has a rather rusty nearside sill! It goes nicely with the loose fuel filler flap and the rusty crease in front of the n/s tail lights (the crease from her not being great at reversing!). It's a diesel and makes a heck of a noise when cold. Kev has had problems with the engine in the past, so I suspect the noise is a legacy of that. Knowing Kev, he'll keep the car until it starts getting too expensive to run (it was a near thing when the engine started running badly a couple of years ago).

Kev has a 2007 X-type (he had a 2002 one with a less powerful engine before he bought the current one) and tows quite a large caravan. He had a '92 Merc for a heck of a long time and, apart from losing a lot of lacquer, was a reliable old bus. He has recently sold his MX5 (I can't remember how old it was) as he wasn't enjoying it: he said it was a sun trap with the top down and far too bouncy for a cruiser: he's a biker at heart had has bought a Yamaha to replace the MX5. He bought the MX5 because he didn't enjoy bikes any more...

A neighbour's son had a birthday party on Sunday and a 2002 A6 was parked in front of our house. Coincidentally, it was a silver one (like Kev's Mondeo) and the o/s door bottoms were rusty, as was the sill. I didn't get a close look at the n/s of the car but it made my neighbour's X-reg A6 look immaculate!