Eu proposals to outlaw modified cars

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
thewdkid

Eu proposals to outlaw modified cars

#1 Post by thewdkid » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:42 pm

Could I urge everyone to visit the association of car enthusiasts website(www.the-ace.org.uk/armegddon/)and read what they have to say about the latest proposal the EU are trying to sneak into law.This will affect everyone with an interest in old cars and bikes.Not just those fitting V8 engine in Minis but also aftermarket wheels,Radial tyres,seat belts and anything that deviates from the original factory spec .This is not a consultaion and is being passed through on the back of other proposals.Please read and spread the word. :evil: :o

TerryG

Re: Eu proposals to outlaw modified cars

#2 Post by TerryG » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:03 pm

If you read the proposal rather than Ace's interpretation they appear to be blowing it up a bit.
It doesn't say you can't modify a car, just that it needs to be inspected and you are allowed to swap engines but there are emissions requirements.
Most of the stuff in there is covered by our MOT already.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

Maaarrghk

#3 Post by Maaarrghk » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:14 pm

Never a better time for any motorcyclists among you to join MAG.

MAG have been onto this for several months now and are already taking the fight direct to the EU comission. Basically, the problem for the EU is that they cannot pass any law that cannot be shown by proper research to be necessary and with these laws they are not following their own set of proceedures.

So, sit back, eat popcorn and do at least sign those petitions.

The good news at present is that the UK government are happy with things as they are.

Mitsuru

#4 Post by Mitsuru » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:22 pm

mattmoxon of YanksYanks.co.uk wrote:Oh and this has just been released via PistonHeads (see it does have its uses ;) )

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default ... ryId=26260
I'm Diabetic,& disabled BUT!! NOT DEAD YET!!

Maaarrghk

#5 Post by Maaarrghk » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:48 pm

News just in from MAG. This probably won't come up for discussion by the TRANS comittee until late autumn.

A silver lining is that the chairman of TRANS is a Labour MEP by the name of Brian Simpson who has some motorcycling history behind him. As a bit of a petrol head, he may be able to steer things away from some of the more draconian aspects of some of the proposals.

The consultation process for industry has just ended, so in the next couple of months the rest of us may get a chance to vent our spleens.

Perhaps PC staff may like to give the FBHVC a nod on this one as well as steering them in a MAG-wards direction. I'm sure there will be a lot of common ground on this one.

Norton Popular

#6 Post by Norton Popular » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:47 pm

Re: European Union Roadworthiness Testing proposal - I quote from the Federation of British Historic Vehicle Clubs website...

The draft of the new Directive has implications for all motorists, not just historic vehicle owners. Amongst other things, the draft requires tests to make reference to a vehicle’s original ‘technical characteristics’. The meaning of this expression is not defined. National governments are granted the right to make their own testing arrangements for ‘vehicles of historic interest’.
A vehicle of historic interest is then defined as one that: Was manufactured more than 30 years ago, is maintained by use of replacement parts which reproduce the historic components of the vehicle, has not sustained any change in the technical characteristics of its main components such as engine, brakes, steering or suspension; and has not been changed in its appearance.
FBHVC considers this definition to be unworkable and completely unacceptable. FBHVC also rejects the suggestion that Roadworthiness Testing should relate to a vehicle’s ‘technical characteristics’, whatever the age of the vehicle. Modifications, alterations and improvements are all part of the history of motor vehicles and the older the vehicle, the more likely it is that it will have been altered at some stage.

So (my words now), a historic vehicle that has even one non standard part is not a historic vehicle!
Somebody (not me) has started a new Government e-petition regarding this...

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/37784

Please give consideration to signing this e-petition.

kstrutt1

#7 Post by kstrutt1 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:44 pm

So a good example would be many of the 20s and 30s Bentleys which had larger engines installed in the smaller chassis or blowers added and were driven in le mans etc, according to the eurocrats these are not historic!

Mitsuru

#8 Post by Mitsuru » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:48 am

brickie501 on Practical Performance Car Magazine forum wrote:This hasn't appeared here before for which I apologise 'because the deadline' is today.

Sorry to have to contradict TerryG and others but this is very much a threat to the modification of cars, partiuclarly historic.

It would appear this segment from a post on the Land Rover Addict website shows the DfT's consultation on the subject:

120809 RWP request for information V2.d ... %2BV2.doc"

120809 RWP feedback form V1a.xls="http: ... 2BV1a.xls"

The key bits of the DfT's interpretation are:

"The Commission proposes to introduce a definition for a roadworthiness test that components of the vehicle must comply with characteristics at the time of first registration. This may prevent most modifications to vehicles without further approval of the vehicle. (this will apply to many components and to all types of vehicle)"

"The Commission proposes to change the definition of an Historic Vehicle that may be exempt from periodic testing. This may allow vehicles older than 30 years to be exempt from testing providing the vehicle has been maintained in its original condition, including its appearance."

{my bold}

So, as others have said:

- (if UK is allowed to maintain it) IVA for any modification not within the characteristics at the time of first registration
- No free tax disk if car modified in any way

This 'consultation' does not seek individual views, only 'consolidated responses' from interested parties.

Could PPC submit a response today? (including readership).
I'd happily draft something if given authority to do so but there are probably better folk...
Could PC do this too, as the more the merrier!
I think if the insurance companies found out about this they might have a fit!
Think of all the extra they put on an insurance renewal when the car has been
modified! There will be no more of that!

Who is going to tell them? \Any volunteers?
I'm Diabetic,& disabled BUT!! NOT DEAD YET!!

mr rusty
Location: Harlow, the birthplace of fibreoptic communication, as the town sign says.

#9 Post by mr rusty » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:33 am

Well good luck to anyonewho can provide a precise original spec on any car over 30 years old given the constant debate on most classic sites about what features the car should/shouldn't have had when it left the factory, I don't think anyone knows precisely when Heralds switched from front drums to disc brakes for example. There will be many many cases where factory records are long gone. Take for example the few Vitesse estates, never an 'official' Standard-Triumph product, but nevertheless there were some and they were produced new by the factory and sold through the dealers.

I would imagine this rather vague legislation proposal is really aimed at the people who actually want a modern car but like the look of an older car but without the old car driving experience, and so modify an old car to be like a modern car-i.e the fitment of modern engines, engine management, running gear , etc, and changing it's mechanical identity well away from what the V5 says it is supposed to be....witness the various space framed V8 Minors and sit up'n'beg Pops out there which are being passed off as pre '73 tax free vehicles, on the basis of nothing more than a reg document and a few body panels.

I really can't see it being used to make people run on cross plies or whatever. One would hope not anyway!
1968 Triumph Vitesse Mk1 2 litre convertible, Junior Miss rusty has a 1989 998cc Mk2 Metro, Mrs Rusty has a modern common rail diesel thing.

suffolkpete

#10 Post by suffolkpete » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:04 pm

If it outlaws this sort of contraption then I'm all for it
[img]http://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy80 ... 87.jpg[img]
DVLA thinks it's still got the original engine.
1974 Rover 2200 SC
1982 Matra Murena 1.6