Looking for a 4X4 classic

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
Mattcortes

Re: Looking for a 4X4 classic

#11 Post by Mattcortes » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:44 pm

I had a Sportstrak and thought it was good fun except if you like resting your elbow on the door as you drive get a pad as it rolls like a boat cornering. Oh and it also looks like something Barbie should drive.
Matt
1962 Triumph Herald 1200 Coupe
1970 Triumph Herald 1360 Convertible
1978 Reliant Scimitar SS1
1986 Mini City
1990 Mini Equinox
1969 Hillman Imp
1969 Morris Minor 1000
Scarab Formula Vee race car
5x racing karts, Rotax, pro, 100cc and gearbox.

bnicho

#12 Post by bnicho » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:15 am

What about an early Land Cruiser?

FJ40:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Toyota-Land- ... 1c21b48997

FJ55:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Toyota-FJ55- ... 1e690fe61e

I'd imagine they have all ruseted away in the UK though?

If you are prepared to choose something not tax-exempt you coul probably snag a 60 series.

But with your budget I'd buy one of these, but I'd hesitate to refer to it as a classic...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-HI-LUX ... 36f36515d

Cheers,
Brett Nicholson
1965 Morris Mini Traveller - Trixie
1966 Austin Mini Super-Deluxe - Audrey
1969 Morris Mini Van - Desert Assault Van
1971 Morris Moke - Mopoke
1974 VW Super Beetle - Olive
2009 Nissan Pathfinder

JPB

#13 Post by JPB » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:34 am

bnicho wrote:....What about an early Land Cruiser?
Good call, IMHO. All the character of a series Land Rover and great for pulling a stuck one out of trouble too. 8-)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Martin Evans

#14 Post by Martin Evans » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:27 pm

I think the best "Classic" 4WD is the Series Land Rover (Some may say that it's just the best full stop). Some of the early Subarus are now old enough to be called "Classic" but I can't recall when I last saw one.
Rules exist for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.

MG Midget 1500, MGB GT V8, Morris Minor Traveller 1275, MG Midget 1275 & too many bicycles.

jamiewilson

#15 Post by jamiewilson » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:23 pm

EccentricDyslexic wrote:Hi all,

I am a classics man, Citroens generally (well, exclusively at the mo!) but am looking for a 4WD for winter snowy conditions.

It has to be tax exempt, so pre 1973 ideally. Not fussed what it is really, but it will be cared for and kept for future winters...(and maybe some green lane-ing!)

Budget upto £3k

Any sugestions?

Ta chaps

Steve

How about my tax exempt series 3 swb truck cab. reg LMO925L.
Just had all breaks replaced, new doors top and bottom, replaced tyres, axle breathers, rear hub seals, full service, new dizzy, plugs and leads etc.

Needs me to bleed brakes off and take for a ticket. to be fair it needs paint as its satin black and chequer-plate style and not to everyone's taste? and has non original seats as I like comfy (originals in excellent condition included) for £2400 ovno?

room in that price for you to do a few bits and still come in under budget. Shame its a bit far away really.
OLD is Gold as I keep telling the missus.

vintagemotor

#16 Post by vintagemotor » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:52 pm

Classic? 4x4? here you go.............

http://bringatrailer.com/2010/02/03/twi ... -cooper-s/
“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena"

bnicho

#17 Post by bnicho » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:09 am

Martin Evans wrote:I think the best "Classic" 4WD is the Series Land Rover (Some may say that it's just the best full stop). Some of the early Subarus are now old enough to be called "Classic" but I can't recall when I last saw one.
I know you guys love them, but Land Rovers of any sort have a pretty poor reputation for reliability in Aussie conditions. I'd prefer an early Cruiser, but each to their own. :)
Brett Nicholson
2009 Nissan Pathfinder

Willy Eckerslyke

#18 Post by Willy Eckerslyke » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:37 am

bnicho wrote:
Martin Evans wrote:I think the best "Classic" 4WD is the Series Land Rover (Some may say that it's just the best full stop). Some of the early Subarus are now old enough to be called "Classic" but I can't recall when I last saw one.
I know you guys love them, but Land Rovers of any sort have a pretty poor reputation for reliability in Aussie conditions. I'd prefer an early Cruiser, but each to their own. :)
It takes a very special sort of nutter to love a Land Rover even if some owners manage to delude themselves into thinking they're superior vehicles. But in the UK they can make more sense than their contemporaries if you want a cheap 4X4 that you can keep on the road for peanuts and don't care about comfort. Early Land Cruisers are scarce here and parts are expensive. I expect they're also more prone to rust. Land Rovers are bad enough for rot, but at least it's usually restricted to the chassis and bulkhead.

SirTainleyBarking

#19 Post by SirTainleyBarking » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:34 pm

See also most of the common garden varieties of Jeep in the USA. Makes sense as a local ride as parts are comparitively cheap compared to what you pay over here
Landrovers and Welding go together like Bread and Butter. And in the wet they are about as structurally sound

Biting. It's like kissing except there's a winner

bnicho

#20 Post by bnicho » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:51 am

Well, I'm a nutter who loves Mokes, which is kind of the illegitimate offspring of an affair between a Landy and a Mini. :lol:

I understand the local spares situation being a major factor. Land Cruisers are in every country breakers down here, but the parts are often not real cheap.

I admit I test drove a Discovery Tdi once. I loved it's Britishness, but the power steering was playing up at just 105,000km and there were a few other niggles. So I took the "safe" option and bought a 117,000km Jackaroo (Trooper) which caught fire 11 months later. :roll:
Brett Nicholson
2009 Nissan Pathfinder