What is your dream classic?

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
vintagemotor

What is your dream classic?

#1 Post by vintagemotor » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:58 pm

Here is my dream classic car..........

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/granada-mk-1- ... 500wt_1287

My late Father had a 3.0 ghia Granada Mk1 and Im a sucker for a V8
“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena"

MidgetSaab

Re: What is your dream classic?

#2 Post by MidgetSaab » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:13 pm

Saab 96, two stroke, or a Citroen DS, or....this could go on a while

Martin Evans

#3 Post by Martin Evans » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:37 pm

With no smugness intended, I like what I have and I wouldn't sell them if I "Won the Lottery". However, I would buy some kind of pre war sports car. If it was a double rollover, maybe I'd go for a Bugatti, given that the Bugatti Owners Club isn't that far away and they provide spares for them. I don't like all Bugattis but the T35/37/51 style cars are very nice. I had a ride up Prescott in a T37 and was very impressed at how well it handled.

I must admit to a liking for British pre war sports cars, whether they be Austin 7 Ulsters/Nippys, Frazer Nash, HRG, MG Midget/Magnette/Magnas (I would like an M Type), Morgan 4/4, Riley 9 or MPH, Singer Le Mans or Triumph Gloria Southern Cross. I've never owned a Morgan, so maybe I'd look out for a pre war 4/4, that would be eligible for VSCC events.

I also like things as diverse as Riley RMs (2 1/2 litre), MG Magnette (ZA/ZB), AC Cobra, Lotus Elan (The original style), Mini Cooper/S Rover P4,5,6, Vanden Plas 1300 or Princess 3 or 4 Litre R, Jaguar XK or E Type, or even a Series Land Rover. There are of course the racing cars (Although they can be driven on the road, Bugatti T51s were really racing cars but in those days, you carried a riding mechanic, so they had two seats). I like the ERA cars, Cooper Nortons/Japs and FJs, besides Lotus racing cars. I expect a 25, 49 or 79 would be in the realms of double rollover, so a FJ would be more realistic and a lot more within my abilities :!: :!: However, if we are narrowing it down to just one, it's the pre war whatever.

Rules exist for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.

MG Midget 1500, MGB GT V8, Morris Minor Traveller 1275, MG Midget 1275 & too many bicycles.

vintagemotor

#4 Post by vintagemotor » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:11 pm

MidgetSaab wrote:Saab 96, two stroke, or a Citroen DS, or....this could go on a while

My Dad had a 96 two-stroke. It was white and the reg started RAW, wish I knew where it was now. My Dad lent it to an insurance rep to get home after his car got stuck in snow near our farm in the 70s, that was the last we saw of it :cry:
“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena"

JPB

#5 Post by JPB » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:04 am

A Gordon Keeble, a Shamrock or a nice 1956 Chevy Nomad for me please.
Meanwhile, in the real world; a late, Farina-shaped Riley 4/72 auto or an example of pretty much anything with Newtondrive or Manumatic "clutchless" transmission would do the job just as well.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

bnicho

#6 Post by bnicho » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:13 am

Like Martin, If I suddently came into heaps of money, I'd keep what I have and merely add a few to the collection:
- 60's Karmann Cabriolet Beetle.
- 66 Mustang GT Convertible.
- W111 Mercedes Convertible or maybe a 190SL?
- 1971-72 "Export" spec Moke, restored to original.
- Austin Mini Mk1, preferably in black with red interior.
- Rover Mini "British Open Classic".
- Maybe a split-window Beetle.
- Toyota Corona or Crown Ute for hauling duties.

Can you tell I like open-topped motoring? :)
Brett Nicholson
1965 Morris Mini Traveller - Trixie
1966 Austin Mini Super-Deluxe - Audrey
1969 Morris Mini Van - Desert Assault Van
1971 Morris Moke - Mopoke
1974 VW Super Beetle - Olive
2009 Nissan Pathfinder

Maaarrghk

#7 Post by Maaarrghk » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:33 am

OOOH! A Facel Vega please.

Or one of those Bugatti Royales (preferably the 2 tone green one) from the Schlumf Collection in Mullhouses.

Mattcortes

#8 Post by Mattcortes » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:12 am

I would keep the Herald Coupe but add a early 948 Herald Coupe with twin carbs and the smooth instead of ribbed roof.

Early E Type coupe.
Ferrari 246 Dino
Mini Cooper S
Early Series 1 Land Rover

Think that would be sufficient.
Matt
1962 Triumph Herald 1200 Coupe
1970 Triumph Herald 1360 Convertible
1978 Reliant Scimitar SS1
1986 Mini City
1990 Mini Equinox
1969 Hillman Imp
1969 Morris Minor 1000
Scarab Formula Vee race car
5x racing karts, Rotax, pro, 100cc and gearbox.

Martin Evans

#9 Post by Martin Evans » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:18 am

bnicho wrote:Can you tell I like open-topped motoring? :)
I expect you have just a tad more opportunity for it in Australia ;) . I know it's a big place and has dessert areas and some more temparate zones but I think it's fair to say you get better weather than us in Britain. In 1980, a school friend spent the summer holidays over there and had better "Winter" weather than we had during the so called "Summer". I keep hoping for another 1976 Summer but I think that's limited to one per lifetime :cry: :cry: :!: We have had a few good ones since but '76 started early and just when on and on and on :!:

This year has been a continuation of the Winter of 2006 - :?: , though from the end of September - end of November has been remarkably mild. During October, I took the Midget for a drive, to the Dean Forest Railway (http://www.deanforestrailway.co.uk/) and having stopped for lunch, we drove back through the forest with the top down, in glorious weather, with the Autumn colours just starting to show. My father's first car was an MGA (He now has a 1275 Midget, also in red, which he says is the last) and he often used to say (Despite the Summer of 1958 being another "Winter") that on a fine day, he wouldn't have swapped it for any fixed head Aston Martin. I've never forgotten that and as I drove along that afternoon, I had much the same feeling :D :!:

Some of the other posts have reminded me of other nice cars (The Dino 246 is my favourite "Ferrari") and the Facel Vega reminds me that I like Jenson Interceptors (The 7 litre ones).
Rules exist for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.

MG Midget 1500, MGB GT V8, Morris Minor Traveller 1275, MG Midget 1275 & too many bicycles.

rich.

#10 Post by rich. » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:25 am

nissan micra.. :D
if i could afford it id have one of everything...