An eye opener while looking for a classic

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
3xpendable

An eye opener while looking for a classic

#1 Post by 3xpendable » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:54 pm

I know this has ben discussed on here before, and I waited until I had gotten over my disappointment a touch before writing a heated post, but the price of some classics today seems to be ridiculous to me. I know it's mainly because a lot of people are now buying them as an 'investment' and pushing the price up, but to me it's in some cases senseless.

Because my V8 project has left me without a useable classic for 3 years now, I got an itching recently to have something to play with until thats ready and stumbled upon my first love, the Mk3 Ford Capri. After a bit of looking around I found what looked to be a fairly original and intect D Reg Laser in Doncaster for £2500. So last weekend after a 4 hour drive I arrived at the sellers house to be left very disappointed. The car had quite obviously had a front accident repair recently (despite him saying over the phone the paint was original) and was just doggy. Sure it had some good bits but was generally knackered and NOT the car in the photographs (for example some trims and the timing belt cover were present in the photos and not on the car when I arrived). It also had one rear leaf spring that was so knackered you could put your fingers between the leafs which he claimed to know nothing of despite it having shiny new bolts and bodged sill repairs where he'd hacked away to get the spring bolt out, a spring assister on the other side (only 1, not a pair either),the thermostat housing covered in that blue gasket sealant gunge and an older radiator in the car that was clearly being over pressurised with brown silty water. I left very disappointed and apparently the car sold a few days later. I was left with the attitude of "If that's what £2500 gets me then I can't afford a classic"

I thought that was a reasonable amount to buy a classic that while not mint, looked tidy, hadn't been abused and one I could enjoy without giving a rebuild. Luckily I've found an MGB I'm viewing locally tonight that looks a lot tidier and for less money, but I've realised that my Capri dream has rapidly sunk. I apologise to any 70's/80's Fords here but 10 minutes with the seller of this car reminded my of one of the big reasons I got rid of my Capri's 10 years ago.

During my travels online, I've also noticed that things like Morris Minors (admittedly very good ones, but not Travellers) are selling for almost as much as some useable 70's Rolls Royce's! Yes the Moggy is cheaper to run and the market dictates the selling value blah blah blah but no way in my mind should a car that common be selling for as much as a Rolls Royce. Plus, I thought this country was still coming out of a recession so where is all this disposable income coming from that's making shaggered Capri's worth £2500 and Morris Minor Saloons worth £5-£7K?! I Should have kept hold of mine!
2013 Dodge Durango R/T
1965 Ford Anglia 106e Estate (Wagon). LHD.
1964 Ford Anglia 105e Saloon

MG Mal

Re: An eye opener while looking for a classic

#2 Post by MG Mal » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:24 pm

Stuff the "Norm" for classics.
Get something unusual and still "up and coming"

Reliant Scimitars for example, are still very underated fun cars, great fun to drive, seat 4, reasonably priced and have a ford V6 as standard!.
Ford's Moggy's and certain Triumphs,MG's, jags etc are now far too expensive for reasons only known to those people willing to pay a kings ransom to buy one.

3xpendable

#3 Post by 3xpendable » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:50 pm

MG Mal wrote:Stuff the "Norm" for classics.
Get something unusual and still "up and coming"

Reliant Scimitars for example, are still very underated fun cars, great fun to drive, seat 4, reasonably priced and have a ford V6 as standard!.
Ford's Moggy's and certain Triumphs,MG's, jags etc are now far too expensive for reasons only known to those people willing to pay a kings ransom to buy one.
That is a good point Mal, and I was trying to find something different but couldnt think of anything, the Reliant is a good suggestion so I'll have a look :) I also like the look for the Fiat X/19. Could look at a TR7 or a MR2 Mk1 1
2013 Dodge Durango R/T
1965 Ford Anglia 106e Estate (Wagon). LHD.
1964 Ford Anglia 105e Saloon

MG Mal

#4 Post by MG Mal » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:39 pm

I also like the look for the Fiat X/19. Could look at a TR7 or a MR2 Mk1 1
X19 Fun cars.-parts expensive, lots of rust in hidden places.
TR7, Fun car - parts reasonable, lots of rust in hidden places.
MR2 Mk1 Great fun, cult following, prices rising, some parts hard to get (apparently)

If you fancy taking a peek at a Scimitar, I still have my Yellow Auto here, not a "sales pitch", but would give you an idea what to look for.
Auto's tend to be several hundred cheaper than manuals, but are just as much fun, both can be converted to five speed manual by use of the Sierra Type 9 box.

Mal.

kevin

#5 Post by kevin » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:53 pm

I find that any classic car other than the one i have is wildly expensive, whilst my Singer is gorgeous, lovely to drive and has never been welded..should I decide to sell It would fetch poor money when compared, to say, something with the oval badge.

best thing to do is be patient and fussy. something suitable will come your way

Kev

rich.

#6 Post by rich. » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:47 pm

mr2 mk2, cheaper & less rust i bought mine which was in mint condition for about a grand... alternators are interesting to change.. :lol:

Mitsuru

#7 Post by Mitsuru » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:20 pm

I have a full set of mr2 rev3 rear lights sitting in a box in the back of the neon if someone
wants to buy them they have the wiring to fit a rev 1 or 2 :lol:

What about the xj6 from the late 80's and early 90's they will be hitting the classic scene
soon and at the moment they are fairly cheap.
I'm Diabetic,& disabled BUT!! NOT DEAD YET!!

Ian

#8 Post by Ian » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:45 pm

Welshie I am still giving away a cracking Scimitar bodyshell :D
Strive for perfection in everything you do

JPB

#9 Post by JPB » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:05 pm

Mitsuru wrote:What about the xj6...... // .......they are fairly cheap.
Slightly newer but a nice chunk of Jaaaaaaag all the same, there's an X300 XJ6 - described in the listing as BRG but looks a lot like Polynesian Turquoise - MOT November, VED a week tomorrow, only wants a new quarter pane in one rear door and it's up at £350 on Preloved. The car is down in Spennymoor, Co. Durham. It looks pretty good in the images.
:thumbs:
Ian wrote:Welshie I am still giving away a cracking Scimitar bodyshell :D
GRP shells aren't bad to repair and if these cracks aren't right through the substrate they're not the end of the world, but you'd still need a chassis, some oily bits and possibly other stuff to go with it.. :idea: I have an SE6B spread between several lockups over on the west coast, near Saltcoats. If it weren't there, other people could store their cars in these lockups. It's mostly there, I think, has been offered for free in the Nearly Everywheres' club mag and nobody's taken it yet. :(

Link to the X300: HERE.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Mitsuru

#10 Post by Mitsuru » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:33 pm

Mind you I just had a better idea for the man with the big family, an ex london taxi.
Accompanied by a sign saying dad's taxi service :lol:

I always thought that the old black cabs would be good to possibly convert into an
estate car.
I'm Diabetic,& disabled BUT!! NOT DEAD YET!!