New London Classic Car Show

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
Grumpy Northener

New London Classic Car Show

#1 Post by Grumpy Northener » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:22 am

New classic car show for London - to be held in Jan at Excel - but I just cannot get exited about it - having moved out of London several months ago after residing there for 20 years - I would not be bothered if I I never stepped a foot in the place again.
http://home.bt.com/video-01366208534376 ... 48x365.jpg
1937 Jowett 8 - Project - in less pieces than the Jupiter
1943 Jowett Stationary Engine
1952 Jowett Jupiter - In lots of peices http://Jowett.org/
1952 Jowett Javelin - Largely original
1973 Rover P6 V8 - Original / 22,000 miles

rich.

Re: New London Classic Car Show

#2 Post by rich. » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:26 am

i went to london last year, & next time i go ill be carrying a nuclear device as the people i met were complete ##soles i hate the place with a passion :twisted:
meanwhile your links not working for me :?

Luxobarge

#3 Post by Luxobarge » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:29 am

Grumpy Northener wrote: I would not be bothered if I I never stepped a foot in the place again.
My sentiments exactly.

Link works for me - looks like Rich has broken the internet again, at least locally.

(Actually, it's a BBC news video, which, for licencing purposes I think, are blocked outside the UK)
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

Grumpy Northener

#4 Post by Grumpy Northener » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:17 am

Come to think of it that's how I caught the 'Grumpy' disease :o (by living in London) and apparently even though I have now moved a significant distance away from the place and don't want to ever return, there is no known cure - that's it I am resigned to being 'Grumpy' for the rest of my life !! :(

rich.

#5 Post by rich. » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:00 am

Grumpy Northener wrote:Come to think of it that's how I caught the 'Grumpy' disease :o (by living in London) and apparently even though I have now moved a significant distance away from the place and don't want to ever return, there is no known cure - that's it I am resigned to being 'Grumpy' for the rest of my life !! :(
whats my excuse then? ive only worked in & around london

Grumpy Northener

#6 Post by Grumpy Northener » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:48 am

whats my excuse then? ive only worked in & around London
But Rich - look at the effect that its had on you !! and the fact that you have had to flee to a foreign country in order to avoid the Londonitus effecting your health & wellbeing from the further harmful effects - I mean just imagine had you stayed in London you could have ended up like that cockney t*** 'Mike Brewer :o :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyhow back to the original topic - it looks like classic cars have become sexy again - so many new shows popping up, every other TV ad has a classic car featured in it, museum attendances up - lots of interest from the younger generation (and that in itself is a great news) - then again all the elders (70 - 80 +) in the club are bemoaning the fact that because classics are gaining interest that they can no longer purchase them for the £2.50 (in old money) that they used to be able to pick up a Jowett Javelin for !! (albeit that was 1969) You cant win !

MG Mal

#7 Post by MG Mal » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:02 am

A London Based Classic car show?

Hmm, likely end up being pictures of classics on easle's if they ban them from the inner city area's! LOL

UKJeeper

#8 Post by UKJeeper » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:51 pm

Here's an idea. Nick the DeLorean, go back to 1981, be the first to buy up the docklands, profit! :lol:

Phil P

#9 Post by Phil P » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:17 am

In schools in London they sing ' Londons burning Londons burning, fetch the engines fetch the engines etc' In Birmingham that's something to cheer about. I worked on a contract in London. One idiot down there kept saying, "Anybody what lives norf of wo' fud is a pret. Ver Queen she lives dairn eya ya know." He was not impressed when we said, "No her office is in London but the first chance she gets she ****s off several hundred miles North!" :lol:

The rest of Britain makes the money for a bunch of pretentious London tossers to p**s up the wall!

Back to topic.
The Military Vehicle Trust is doing the NEC Classic Car Show in November again and probably the Practical Classic Show in 2015. London classic car show....no chance. The cost of fuel and transport to move stuff and 4/5 nights stopping down there for up to 10 folks would kill the job! It's thanks to that crowd Haymarket from London who ran the motor show at the NEC that it ended up at Earls Court or where ever. The last time I went to Earls Court there was no where to park near by what parking there was cost a fortune and the place itself was a tip.

Fatbloke

#10 Post by Fatbloke » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:55 am

I was born in London (Peckham Actually) left with my family for my Dad's Job when I was 8 but visisted my grandparents there regulary and spent several summer holidays there. I was then back with the future mrs FB in the late 80's when she was doing her Nurse training at Kings. Now my daughter is studying at Westminster Uni.

I absolutely love the place and visit every chance I get. I love the history the buildings and the buzz and even some of the people!

I'm too old to live there permantly as I couldn't keep up the pace, but my eldest loves it too and is planning on living there when she's graduated.

Sorry chaps, but had to leap to the defence of my "home" town.
Mike.

A Fatbloke in a Herald