Modifications....................

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
mr rusty
Location: Harlow, the birthplace of fibreoptic communication, as the town sign says.

Modifications....................

#1 Post by mr rusty » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:39 pm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1962-frogeye- ... 408wt_1141.............words are unneccesary here, just look at the pics....quality metal-bashing work though!
1968 Triumph Vitesse Mk1 2 litre convertible, Junior Miss rusty has a 1989 998cc Mk2 Metro, Mrs Rusty has a modern common rail diesel thing.

Lord Tolly

Re: Modifications....................

#2 Post by Lord Tolly » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:55 pm

Oh my goodness

Im going to have nightmares now after seeing that

TerryG

#3 Post by TerryG » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:59 pm

:shock: I'm not really sure what to put other than OMG.

The advert is definitely worth preserving:
ebay seller wrote: 1962 Frogeye sprite,

Well it started life as one until the previous owner decided to make some "improvements" !!! the word "stunning" is very much over used in car advert descriptions but I really do think its appropriate for this beauty..... I really dont know what was on his mind ?

If you want to get noticed for all the wrong reasons this is the car for you !

Surely he was high on LSD or something, all the mods are steel as well, maybe he hankered after a Daimler dart but couldn't afford one ?

A particularly nice touch is the metal shield held on the bonnet with quick release pins for emergency access under the bonnet, it is also nicely adorned with a 3 legged frog mascot !!

He didn't just stop at the body mods, this car needed the performance to match its racy new looks, with this in mind he transplanted a 2.0 ford pinto allegedy from an RS2000, I would imagine it actually goes very well.

Anyway its a genuine frogeye, needs full restoration, it has been stood many years, comes with the v5, its all complete, nice reg 909 BPY, genuine uk car

We can deliver at extra cost (can be sheeted over on delivery so the neighbours don't see it or we could deliver at night)

Winning bidder must pay £300 deposit at the end of the auction so they cant change their mind later

Very low reserve, we want to sell it, will probably be the cheapest frogeye ever !!
Some of the Q/A is funny too
ebay seller wrote: Q: I totally agree with the last comment. This little gem needs restoring as it is !!! Sod the purists, someone has taken quite some time and a LOT of imagination to create this truly "inspired" gem....Imagine taking it to The Goodwood Revival...it would generate so much interest as it is :-)
A: Lol yes it would certainly get noticed, as you say a hell of a lot of work has gone into it, would be very funny at Goodwood revival !!

Q: What a breath of fresh air, this wants making safe and legal, do not restore it use it as it is, Fantastic. Be Different,don't let the purists grind you down.
A: Yep it would be funny to turn up at a show in it, do you think the frogeye owners club would let you display it on their stand ? I suppose this is what people did to worthless old cars in the 70's, nowadays everone wants them totally standard as they left the factory.

Q: I thought I'd just point out that the frog has 4 legs and not 3, it only has 3 feet though. Just saying!
A: You are right........damn ive made it sound in much worse condition than it really is !!!!

Q: what a looker if only they had done it like that from new what a winner it would have been how can you bear to sell it what a shame the little 998 gave a good bit of fun to driving one so come on whats the reserve set at
A: Yep its certainly a looker, reserve has been met so will sell to the highest bidder. Thanks, Chris

Q: are there any spares coming with the car (e.g. like the original rims and the parts cut out of the bonnet) because there is someting lying on the co-driver seat. And is there the hook for the flange at the rear end to be included? Did you make a test drive? What is the condition of the mechanical parts and how long was the ride stored away? Do you offer any guarantees?
A: Hi, the car comes as you see it on the pictures, the radiator is lying on the seat, not sure what you mean by the hook for the flange on the rear ? I have not test driven it because its not running as stated on the advert, even if it was running I wouldn't drive it in case I was seen in it !! Its been stored for 13 years, the only thing I will guarantee is the wife will file for divorce when this turns up on your drive.

Q: Oh my , I dont know either to laugh or cry . I just might bid on this Bugeyed shite just because know one in there right mind would belive it happened.lol. Think i need a drink to decide :) Goodluck with the sale
A: Ha ha, it would take at least a couple of crates of Stella before this seemed like a good idea !!

Q: what a tragic looking thing! i actually do like the steering wheel. was funny to read - but sad to look at it, hahahaha. 22-Jun-13
A: Yep had a few offers on the steering wheel for some reason ?

Q: Is it actually a barn find or was the car hiding in shame? 22-Jun-13
A: I think you are right it was hiding in shame. Chris

Q: I love frogeyes so much - just pleaseput this one out of its' misery !!! 20-Jun-13
A: lol, you need to buy it and restore it to its former glory !

Q: In case any one needs to know the rear lights are off a Ford Anglia 105e (sorry to be an Anorak) Z105 20-Jun-13
A: Thanks for letting me know. Chris
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

rich.

#4 Post by rich. » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:57 pm

am i wrong to find that attractive?? :oops: :oops:

Willy Eckerslyke

#5 Post by Willy Eckerslyke » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:01 pm

Am I the only one seeing shades of Invacar in the styling of the rear? Or perhaps it's just the colour...

mr rusty
Location: Harlow, the birthplace of fibreoptic communication, as the town sign says.

#6 Post by mr rusty » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:48 pm

am i wrong to find that attractive?? :oops: :oops:
....yes you are and you've obviously been cut off from the mainland for too long!

I remember many years ago, pre internet and camera phones, 1980 something,in the road behind the government offices where I was working at the time there were no parking restrictions and I used to leave my Marina there, and there was a chap with a huge 70's slab sided yank saloon, I can't recall what it was now but it was similar in style to what Kojak used to drive, and it took him a month or so to do something similar- he grafted huge home-made aluminium deerhunter caddy-style fins on to it with pop rivets and buckets of lob and painted the whole lot pink with rattle cans, it looked awful!
1968 Triumph Vitesse Mk1 2 litre convertible, Junior Miss rusty has a 1989 998cc Mk2 Metro, Mrs Rusty has a modern common rail diesel thing.