Day time running lights

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
OneCarefulOwner

Re: Day time running lights

#41 Post by OneCarefulOwner » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:03 pm

I dislike the flashing LEDs when that's all they use; especially when it's properly dark, it's very hard to judge distances when the source keeps disappearing. I think they work much better when used in tandem with a conventional steady light for focus.
…that's why Allegro will look as good 5 years from now as it does today.
If I was allowed a sigpic, this would be it
Twitter | Blog | DropBox

hobby

#42 Post by hobby » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:10 pm

According to one cyclist i spoke to they are now legal used just on their own. It used to be that they had to have a steady light as well as a flashing one, but it seems so many were ignoring it that they just gave up and allowed to have just a flashing one... Highway Code 60:

At night your cycle MUST have white front and red rear lights lit. It MUST also be fitted with a red rear reflector (and amber pedal reflectors, if manufactured after 1/10/85). White front reflectors and spoke reflectors will also help you to be seen. Flashing lights are permitted but it is recommended that cyclists who are riding in areas without street lighting use a steady front lamp.

OneCarefulOwner

#43 Post by OneCarefulOwner » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:44 pm

I know they're legal alone, I never said they weren't - I just prefer them paired with steady front & rear lamps because it allows me to make more accurate judgements; when they're used alone, they absorb a disproportionate amount of my attention, and I find myself distracted from other potential hazards.

Still, could be worse; was following a cyclist at night recently who not only had no lights, but no reflectors on any part of the dark-painted bike, was wearing all dark clothing, and was weaving across half the road! :o
Twitter | Blog | DropBox

JPB

#44 Post by JPB » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:08 pm

Must've been pished then. I believe that they're fair game when they've had a few scoops and that the meat's yours to keep if you clip one and kill it.

Or is that sheep I'm thinking about?
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

OneCarefulOwner

#45 Post by OneCarefulOwner » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:48 pm

I thought it was like deer; if you clip it, you have to leave it for someone else, to prevent people slamming into them willy-nilly for food.
Twitter | Blog | DropBox

hobby

#46 Post by hobby » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:10 pm

Mr Wogan has a lot to answer for...

OCO, I didn't mean to infer that you didn't know, it's just that flashing lights on their own were illegal until fairly recently, it was just a general comment to anyone reading the thread!

JPB

#47 Post by JPB » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:10 pm

I blame H&E's recent descent from the top shelf in WH Smith. Seems as though flashing's the next big thing.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Martin Evans

#48 Post by Martin Evans » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:28 pm

I'm not sure that DRL will do anything, as lights always show up more in the dark (Perhaps if it's a dull day or dusk it may help). You can do what you like, if you are dealing with idiots, whether on two legs, two, three, four of more wheels, things will go wrong. Being a pedestrian, cyclist, motorist etc doesn't make someone an idiot; being human does that. Add to that the unhealthy mix of self important arrogance and gutter manners, that now seems all to common and it just makes matters worse. Perhaps when these clowns cause problems, they should suffer more severe penalties. Ofcourse cycling is not taken seriously in the UK (Despite all the hype, they only pay lip service to it) and as such it is pretty much unregulated (You don't have a number plate or a licence to be endorsed). On the other hand, if they were to regulate it more, that could force youngsters off the road. It's a bit of a catch 22 situation, though I feel proficiency tests should be mandatory.

As to the question of flashing lights on bikes, they are now legal. It has been found that a flashing light is more noticeable. Having said that, even when it was "Illegal" local Police took the view that it was enough that someone had a light, as there are more than enough "Seated pedestrian" bike riders, who (Like van drivers on the phone) seem to assume the Highway Code doesn't apply to them (The ones who can't make their minds up whether they are road users or pedestrians and who move from road to pavement as the whim takes them) and who don't bother with lights (Some even cycle to beat the breathalyser).

I use a rear flashing light but I don't like them at the front. This is partly because my lights are very bright (Most of my night riding is done in unlit areas). Whilst my lights have the option to be put on flashing mode, in street lit areas, that level of light flashing is distracting and the most I do ,in street lit areas, is put them on low setting. I also have to put them on low when there is oncoming traffic, as you can dazzle people. It can work the other way; gone are the days when motorists left their lights on full, knowing you only had an Ever Ready torch and could not give them back their own medicine.
Rules exist for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.

MG Midget 1500, MGB GT V8, Morris Minor Traveller 1275, MG Midget 1275 & too many bicycles.

mach1rob

#49 Post by mach1rob » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:58 pm

I've just got a brand new Transit works van, got to love the way Ford have done the DRLs on it, it must have cost all of 3p, as it just turns the lights on as soon as you switch the ignition on, not just the headlights, but side lights, tail lights, number plate lights, and side markers when fitted! Only thing that doesn't come on are the dash bulbs! :lol: