69" MGB with German Ford Capri 2.8 V-6

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
limey222

69" MGB with German Ford Capri 2.8 V-6

#1 Post by limey222 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:42 pm

I'm an ex-Brit living in Portland , Oregon. I've just purchased a 69 MGB
that was modded a couple of years ago by a shop here in Portland. I'm still
discovering more details about it but I do know that it has a German Ford
Capri V-6 2.8 installed.

Then car performs really well, everything runs straight and true and
handles well, I understand that the V6 actually weighs less than the
original 1.8. Usual small problems, the direction signal are not working
and the speedo reads 25 mph at rest and consistently reads 25mph above
actual speed. Looking at buying one of those GPS speedo units and mounting
it.

Now that I've bought it I realize that there several hundred other
questions that I forgot to ask, I was concentrating on the body a lot (its
very good with very little rust.

I believe that thee German V6 is known as the Cologne series as opposed to
the Essex series in the UK. Anyone have any experiences or advice that they want to pass on regarding this
motor

3xpendable

Re: 69" MGB with German Ford Capri 2.8 V-6

#2 Post by 3xpendable » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:13 pm

limey222 wrote:I'm an ex-Brit living in Portland , Oregon. I've just purchased a 69 MGB
that was modded a couple of years ago by a shop here in Portland. I'm still
discovering more details about it but I do know that it has a German Ford
Capri V-6 2.8 installed.

Then car performs really well, everything runs straight and true and
handles well, I understand that the V6 actually weighs less than the
original 1.8. Usual small problems, the direction signal are not working
and the speedo reads 25 mph at rest and consistently reads 25mph above
actual speed. Looking at buying one of those GPS speedo units and mounting
it.

Now that I've bought it I realize that there several hundred other
questions that I forgot to ask, I was concentrating on the body a lot (its
very good with very little rust.

I believe that thee German V6 is known as the Cologne series as opposed to
the Essex series in the UK. Anyone have any experiences or advice that they want to pass on regarding this
motor
Hi there Limey and welcome. We have a few things in common! Firstly I have an MGB GT i'm converting to a V8 (Rover), I also used to own a Capri 2.8i with the motor you have in your B. And thirdly, next year I'll be moving near you to near Seattle so we will have to show our cars to each other!

You're right, the motor is known as a Cologne and from my experiences its a pretty good motor. Some say they have a reputation for head gaskets going but my experience is more that the cooling system needs to be kept clean and maintained, otherwise they sludge up, overheat and then blow the head gaskets. They use a Siamese port head design so aren't the best for ultimate power but for what you want it should have enough grunt (they put out 160hp standard compared to the 95 of a 1.8 and the 137 of a factory V8).

Finally a thought about the speedo, what gearbox is the car using? Is the speedo the original? Oh and post some piccies!!
2013 Dodge Durango R/T
1965 Ford Anglia 106e Estate (Wagon). LHD.
1964 Ford Anglia 105e Saloon

limey222

#3 Post by limey222 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:50 pm

Thanks for responding. Yes, it uses the original Capri gearbox. Mine has a 4-barrel Holley on a offenhauser intake manifold, hence the need for a modded hood.
Cool about you moving to Seattle next years, I'm 2-1/2 hours south. Would send some photos if I could work out how to attach them on this site, otherwise just email me and I send them to you that way.

harvey

#4 Post by harvey » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:09 pm

This thread may be of interest to you:

http://practicallyclassics.phpbbhosts.c ... =12&t=3431
Currently over 35 years worth of fixing 35 boxes.
Hoping to reach 65 years worth of fixing 65 boxes.

kstrutt1

#5 Post by kstrutt1 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:45 pm

The cologne v6 is pretty reliable as long as the cooling system is looked after, but not to good to tune due to the ports, later 2.9 versions are better but over here in the uk you can get the 24 valve cosworth version for peanuts so most people go this way.

Your speedo sounds like the needle is 25 mph out, remove the instrument, take the glass out, undo the 2 screws on the back and hold the rotor while you adjust the needle, they are just a friction fit.

3xpendable

#6 Post by 3xpendable » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:09 am

Is it the original MGB speedo? Let me know
2013 Dodge Durango R/T

Richard Moss

#7 Post by Richard Moss » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:52 pm

kstrutt1 wrote:Your speedo sounds like the needle is 25 mph out, remove the instrument, take the glass out, undo the 2 screws on the back and hold the rotor while you adjust the needle, they are just a friction fit.
I would agree - because the error is consistent at 25mph, not a % error, it sounds like the needle has slipped around the dial a bit.

Luxobarge

#8 Post by Luxobarge » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:02 pm

Richard Moss wrote:
kstrutt1 wrote:Your speedo sounds like the needle is 25 mph out, remove the instrument, take the glass out, undo the 2 screws on the back and hold the rotor while you adjust the needle, they are just a friction fit.
I would agree - because the error is consistent at 25mph, not a % error, it sounds like the needle has slipped around the dial a bit.
Thirded - and you can always use your GPS device to get it set accurately. Always nice to have the original instruments working as they should.....
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

3xpendable

#9 Post by 3xpendable » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:32 am

If he would answer my question as if its the original MGB speedo or not I could help out!!!

I have details of how to set it up and roughly calibrate one if it is.
2013 Dodge Durango R/T

limey222

#10 Post by limey222 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:57 pm

Sorry, I was out of town. Thanks for all of your responses and yes, it is the original. I will try opening up the Speedo and resetting the needle. Anything to look out for when removing it from the dash?

The other 2 problems relate to the Ford "Cologne" V6 2.8 motor :

The sensor for the temperature gauge (std) is complete but just sitting on top of the engine where it "measures the ambient temp of the engine" to quote the previous owner. On the Ford V6 2.8 motor the thermostat cap casting has a couple of spare connections that are currently plugged, should I install it there? The thread sizes are different so i will need an adapter, also I'm concerned that because of the length of the stock MGB sensor that it might interfere with the thermostat operation.
The previous owner disconnected the heater and removed the hoses. When I

The oil pressure gauge is not connected, I haven't had time to see if the gauge interface is complete, but if it is where should it be connected on the Ford motor? I really don't like using the car without it operating.